Space of Saelex

"Trying to avoid sadness is trying to avoid life."

The opportunity to Learn

In this post, I reflect on the understanding of the brain and how different learning methods can help us process and learn, how we take a blank slate and create an idea. This is from learning-based off an online course at the University of Victoria.

A key aspect to the thought process of creative thinking starts by us learning what different methods of learning are there?

Some of the few techniques are Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism, and Social Constructivism.

Behaviorism – As said by Nicole Crozier in the EDCI 337 course at the University of Victoria, “Behaviourism defines learning as a change in behavior that occurs as the result of positive or negative reinforcement, or through punishment.” ( Crozier, EDCI 337 )

Cognitivism – “Cognitivism focuses on a learner’s mental processes, such as thinking, memory, knowing, and problem-solving.” ( Crozier, EDCI 337)

Constructivism – ” Constructivism views learning as an active, contextualized process of constructing knowledge, rather than simply acquiring it.” ( Crozier, EDCI 337)

After understanding what each learning strategy is I found myself having a hard time grasping the concept from Kevin Alexander on his podcast. In the podcast I have heard from my recent online class it was stated that all these different theories of learning are all myths? That everyone learns the same that we don’t need these different stimulations such as lectures, presentations. I find that this can be proven inaccurate. As the podcaster, Kevin Alexander says  “there’s always a little bit of truth in all of them.” stating that each learning technique has some truth to how people learn differently but most are not noticeable. When hearing the podcast I felt this was not all true as many people with different learning disabilities use these techniques to this day to help them progress in their learning environment.

These different techniques can be adapted to the person who may need to use these techniques for their own learning.

As a final thought, I do believe that the process of these learning ideas really can contribute to each individual learning style. These methods are the beginning of understanding how our brains learn and adapt.

1. zonyyang 2021-12-01

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing your ideas! I really love the picture you choose! You made a good summary of the key points in class, it really helped me to understand class materials better! nice blog!
    Jun Yang

2. queenieyao 2021-12-05

Hi
    Thank you for explain different learning methods in blog. Also Kevin Alexander’s idea is interesting. Try to add an reference list at the end of this blog.

3. qixingyu 2021-12-06

Hi,
    thanks for sharing your thoughts in this blog. I agree with you “the process of these learning ideas really can contribute to each individual learning style.”